Water charges

Find out whether we can investigate your complaint relating to water charges.

Who sets water charges? 

In south-east Queensland (SEQ), water retailers set water charges.

Outside SEQ, water charges are generally set by the local council.

The Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy provides information about the different charges on your water bill.

Who investigates complaints about water charges in SEQ?

The Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland (EWOQ) investigates complaints about water retailers in SEQ including:

  • Unitywater (SEQ - north)
  • Queensland Urban Utilities (SEQ -  central)
  • Gold Coast City Council
  • Logan City Council
  • Redland City Council.

However, EWOQ will only investigate your complaint if you are a residential customer or a business that uses under 100 kilolitres of water a year.

We investigate complaints by businesses in SEQ that use more than 100 kilolitres per year.

Who investigates complaints about water charges outside SEQ?

If you live outside SEQ, your local council is usually responsible for water charges.

For more information, contact your council or refer to its website. 

EWOQ provide information about concealed water leaks and inaccurate water meter readings.

Last updated: Wednesday, 5 July 2023 2:04:48 PM