Police misconduct, operational and administrative actions

What we can do

We are able to investigate some complaints about administrative actions taken by the Queensland Police Service, for example, purchasing decisions or delays in processing applications.

Generally, we will not consider your complaint until you try and resolve your complaint with the Queensland Police Service (QPS). Learn more about complaining to the organisation involved.

What we can't do

Under the Ombudsman Act 2001, we cannot investigate operational decisions or operational actions of a police officer. This may include:

  • issuing infringement notices or charging people with offences
  • arresting people, or taking people into custody
  • investigating, searching and questioning people
  • enforcing warrants
  • preserving public order and safety.

Complaints like this should be made to the Queensland Police Service or the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC).

If you have been arrested or charged with an offence you should seek legal advice about your options. We cannot provide legal advice or prevent action against you.

Legal Aid Queensland or community legal centres may be able to give you free preliminary legal advice and information on some criminal law matters.

If you have been issued an infringement notice, follow the instructions on the notice. Learn more about complaints relating to infringement notices

The Crime and Corruption Commission

Under the Crime and Corruption Act 2001, police are subject to external oversight in relation to corrupt conduct and police misconduct.

Police misconduct is any behaviour by a police officer that:

  • is disgraceful, improper or unbecoming of a police officer
  • shows unfitness to be or continue as a police officer
  • does not meet the standard the community reasonably expects of a police officer.

If you have a more serious complaint about a police officer, including a complaint about police misconduct or corrupt conduct, you can report it to the Queensland Police Service or the Crime and Corruption Commission.

We cannot deal with these complaints or review decisions made by the CCC.

Last updated: Wednesday, 4 October 2023 11:21:08 AM