Legislation and standard
The Ombudsman Act 2001 provides for the appointment of an Ombudsman. It also defines our role and powers.
Public Interest Disclosure Act
We are the oversight agency for the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010 (the PID Act). The purpose of the PID Act is to 'facilitate the disclosure, in the public interest, of information about wrongdoing in the public sector and to provide protection for those who make disclosures'.
Public Interest Disclosure Standard No.1
The Public Interest Disclosure Standard No. 1, issued by the Ombudsman under section 60 of the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010 (the PID Act), details the actions chief executive officers of public sector entities must take to ensure that their agencies’:
- Implement a management program, including policies and procedures, for responding to public interest disclosures
- Have procedures for receiving, assessing and managing public interest disclosures
- Protect the confidentiality of disclosers, subject officers and other persons involved
- Provide support for disclosers
- Undertake risk assessments and action to prevent reprisal against disclosers and other persons involved in public interest disclosures.