How to manage a public interest disclosure
Chief executive officers of public sector agencies have obligations under the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010 and the Public Interest Disclosure Standard No 1 to ensure that:
- public officers of the agency who make Public Interest Disclosures are given appropriate support
- public officers are offered protection from reprisals
- the agency has a management program for Public Interest Disclosures, in accordance with the Public Interest Disclosure Standard No. 1
- Public Interest Disclosures made to the agency are properly assessed and investigated
- appropriate action is taken in relation to any wrongdoing that is the subject of a Public Interest Disclosure.
The following information and advice will assist agencies to ensure they meet their obligations.