Public Interest Disclosure Procedure 2020
Procedure for dealing with Public Interest Disclosures made under the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010
The Office of the Queensland Ombudsman (the Office) is committed to fostering an ethical, transparent culture. In pursuit of this, the Office values the disclosure of information about suspected wrongdoing in the public sector so that it can be properly assessed and, if necessary, appropriately investigated. The Office will provide support to any employee, public officer or other person who makes a disclosure about matters in the public interest.
This Procedure demonstrates this commitment, and ensures that practical and effective procedures are implemented which comply with the requirements of the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010 (PID Act).
This Procedure sets out how the Office will meet its obligations under the PID Act in responding to:
- Public interest disclosures (PIDs) made about the Office, or officers of the Office, including by employees of the Office
- complaints made to the Office about the administrative actions of agencies, in accordance with its functions under the Ombudsman Act 2001, that also amount to PIDs.
This Procedure is reviewed annually and updated as required to ensure it meets the requirements of the PID Act. This Procedure also complies with the Public Interest Disclosure standards issued by the Queensland Ombudsman in the performance of the oversight function under the PID Act.
What does the procedure cover?
The following information is included in the Procedure (PDF 1.3MB):
- PID Management Program
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Why make a PID?
- What is a Public Interest Disclosure?
- Who can a PID be disclosed to?
- How to make a PID
- Deciding whether a matter is a PID
- Assessing a PID
- Referring a PID
- Risk assessment and protection from reprisal
- Declining to take action on a PID
- Communication with disclosers
- Support for disclosers
- Taking action on a PID
- Rights of subject officers
- Definitions (meanings of words and acronyms used in this Procedure)
- Relevant Legislation
- Related Policies and Procedures
- Supporting information.
The Procedure was approved by Phil Clarke, Queensland Ombudsman, on 18 June 2020.
For more information about the Procedure or to make a Public Interest Disclosure about the Office, contact the Office’s PID Coordinator:
Attention: PID Coordinator
GPO Box 3314
Brisbane QLD 4001
Phone: (07) 3005 7040